You might say i am a startup and might not even have an office then why talk and listen about office management? But usually a very small startup team have 2-3 employees or partners working together in a room or a setup. Surely you are leading on a way to build a huge team and in process of making your own work culture and organizational behavior. To have a very successful organization the roots and foundation at which you start should be as strong.
Below are some tips which you can start implementing right away which in future will growth and makes for a successful organization
- Create and stick to Routines- Business is all about doing same thing over and over and over again. The time at which your office opens or closes, lunch time, How much is the working hours and how an email/an envelope is handled and responded etc.
- Create Processes – This is very important in the time of employee conflict. Imagine your company coming to a standstill due to an employee issue. Put these agreement in paper and make sure to let everybody know. Process of getting leaves, like ‘how many leaves an employee can take’ can help you to manage work force.
- Divide Responsibilities and Roles – A good office knows who is responsible for what., if something is missing or not working, you should know who to call attention to.
- Keep Records of everything- Let it be your first customer contact, employee, investment, anything…, you should have the records in your hand. Better still is to make an arrangement to record your everyday activities, like how many sales, how much work done in a day by each member, how much income/expense and profit. and keep all the records up-to-date.
- Safety of your valuable documents – Not only it is important to keep all the records but also in place where it is theft free and safe. Insure yourself for such things. There are some document you may want to dispose and may have crucial information of your company, best is to shread(destroy the paper)/burn them to prevent its misuse. Some companies give Mobile Shredding Services too.
- Office Equipment -You don’t need every piece of office equipment out there to run a smooth operation. But you do need certain products that are going to optimize people’s performance. What you need and how much it will cost are simple but important considerations.
- Task Management - Keeping track of projects is critical to the successful completion of important tasks and represents an essential piece of documentation. Knowing when things have to be completed and by whom gives everyone a clear idea of what’s ahead.
The more you know about how the company works and what people are doing to build business, fulfill customer requests, meet deadlines, the more successful you’ll be in creating and sustaining an environment that fosters success.