In the age of the computer and internet it is easy to overlook time proven business marketing strategies like the typical postal mail. This can be a very large mistake. While it is true that most people use or have access to computers, virtually everybody receives mail. In many demographics, large percentages of the population are still not completely comfortable with the computer. While it is easy to become enamored by statistics like 75% of the population accesses email on a daily basis, do you really want to not market to the other 25%? This is especially true since the other 25% is often older, with more disposable income than typical person carrying around a smart phone to check emails 5x a day. Here are three strategies to enact an effective direct mail campaign that will yield results and higher profits.
Direct mail is much more expensive than email. It is not cost effective to simply mail every address in a zip code. The purchase or compilation of highly targeted lists will produce the best results. If purchasing lists by demographics be very specific based on either your customers’ typical profile or the profile of the market you want to engage. As an example, in location selection rather than purchasing a list based on miles from your location if a brick and mortar retail store, choose one based on driving time. Twenty miles may be very reasonable in some areas but in a metropolitan area where 20 miles is a journey of 90 minutes from some points it does not make sense. It is unlikely you will entice enough business from 90 minutes away to make a profitable mailing about $30 Jeans.
Compile Your Own Lists
The most effective mailing list you can get is one made from your own sales records. If it is a past customer the established past relationship, knowledge that they found something you offered of value previously, and basic qualifications to purchase make it far more effective than generated cold lists regardless of demographics. It is cheaper to maintain an old customer than find a new one and this type of mailing takes advantage of that. In addition, if you keep track of returned mail to update your data base you will reduce future costs.
Direct mail is far more personal than email. If the direct mail is based off personal information such as preferred name or on a personal event like a birthday or anniversary special offer it implies to the customer you remember them and they are not just another sale to you. Use of printed and branded envelopes like those from Rockhill First Class Envelopes will keep your name in front of new and old customers alike.
Using basic strategies you can expand your sales market into the 25% of the people you miss with email and social media campaigns to increase sales and profits. With carefully planned campaigns you can expand into that area while keeping costs low and response rates high.