In the initial stage when we decide to start a business we are not sure whether our business will be successful or not, and in this doubt most of us end up naming some random or family elder name to our business. But today we are living in a society which is Brand conscious, which puts a lot of importance in the name you choose for your business.
Naming a business is not as easy as naming a child where you just have to find your favorite name, While naming a business you need to keep in mind lot of things, this article will be covering some of the things necessary while naming you business.
Naming Web based business or an online Business
This is when you expect most of your traffic to come from online searches. Now a days offline businesses are also going online to get more customers and sales. There are lot things you need to consider before coining a name for your startup.
- Choose a simple one word domain and Business name (fewer than six letter will be awesome) most of the domain names are already taken so you need to do some hard work.Ex: Skype, Fix It
- It should be catchy and easy to remember. Ex: Twitter
- The business name should Directly or indirectly describe what your business does. ex: Just Dial, Snap Deal, Just Eat, Facebook
- If you don’t get any dictionary word then coin a new hybrid of two words. Ex: InstaGram (remember telegram), skype
- It can also be an abstract word which may not be related to your business but describe it in a special way Ex: Apple (Newtons’s)
- If it is something people use, then use a verb for the name Ex: Google (Lets Google it),
- Example of a noun will be Startup Freak!
Naming Traditional Business
If you are opening a restaurant, Jewel shop, or any such local business, you should always go with the local style. You cannot give your business a name which nobody understands. To attract the local masses you have to think locally.
- Choose a name which will last, usually business is built to be eternal
- Embody both your values and your company’s distinguishing characteristics.
- Do you want to fit in or stand out, i mean in bangalore most of the hotel are “Darshini or “Sagar”, which tells customer that it a fast food south indian food joint.
- Usually in India family business has the name of the elder most personality or the family name. Ex: Chetty & Sons,